Sunday, November 19, 2006

Out of Comfort Zone

How often that when we're troubled, we look at ourselves as if we have a BIG problem that we get so troubled by it. And just comparing and looking at the circle of people around us, often we don't know or realise how lucky we are.

Yesterday I have a chance to join the reach out program through my church, to a place where my church go in at least twice a week just to be with the people there. Heard lots of stories from other church members who had been in the programme since they started some months ago.



Broken family, broken home, financial problems and also domestic violence by the parents and all the problems that come along. Some barely can read, some never even attended school before. Some are slow in learning, some couldn't even mix around and just keep quite by their own.



I am not the person that will go out and reach out to the people out there who need help. Rather putting myself to the place that i barely know and meeting other people, i would prefer to help out without having to meet people. But don't know why, I actually looked forward, to join them yesterday.



It reminded me of that few times i went to the Drug rehab house to help out with washing dishes and vegetables during the weekends. One of the program by the church, feeding the people in Petaling Street. So, every Saturday, other than washing dishes and linger around with friends that went together, i get to talk with people in the rehab, just normal talk. Well, the 2 things that was warned by fellow leaders before going in were, don't dress tight shirts as the people there are grounded until they're done in the rehab and another thing is, don't mention anything about drugs.

Well, silly me, remembered the most, one of the guy said he miss drinking coffee so much. I then asked why can't u drink now. He mumbled a while then said, cause there's caffeine in coffee. I was like.. 'oh, uh.. okay..'.

Okay, back to Reach out program. Nothing much to be talked about but one thing for sure, I'm so proud of myself for joining the programme yesterday. At first it was very scary, as I'm not comfortable when I was placed in a new place. Low cost apartments, dark and look spooky to me. Was told that it was a gangster place, but still I just persevere and join into the group. But when i first meet the kids, they were so cute. Acting like adult, they came to us and offered a hand shake. Was blessed seeing them, seeing their smile.



We played games together with the kids. Played pictograph. One person from a group will act out what the other group had wrote on the paper. Well, when MeiLin and I went out to act, the kids said "Itu kakak sangat tinggi", while pointing at both of us. haha.



And ya, there was a group of chinese girls, 4 of them came later. All sat behind me, I turned to a little girl.

Me, "hey.. how old are you?"
Lil girl, "6 years old."

Me turned to my friend just next to me..."Wuah, she's 6 years old. 6 Times 3, equivalent to my age".
Friend, "How old are you?"
24.

Then i heard,
"huh, 6 times 3 is 18. How can it be 24??!!"
Then whispers and whispers.

The lil girl's sister, i think at the age of 12 asked....
"jie jie, how old are you?"
19!!!
"But huh, just now u say 24."

-__-|||

"Ya, i'm 24."



Sometimes it doesn't take much to put a smile on other face. I believe, just being there for others though you're tired, just reaching out to people, can bless others as well as ourselves. Where life without hope is depressing and disappointing, I know I'm secured with the Hope from Him.

God bless you readers!

No comments: